Pediatric Nursing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should contraceptives and birth control information be made available to minors through school clinics? If so, at what age should they be available?

2 posters

Go down

Should contraceptives and birth control information be made available to minors through school clinics? If so, at what age should they be available? Empty Should contraceptives and birth control information be made available to minors through school clinics? If so, at what age should they be available?

Post  Raffiel Jacinto Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:39 am

Should contraceptives and birth control information be made available to minors through school clinics? If so, at what age should they be available?

The degree and rate of sexual activities among adolescents have increased during the last decade. The percentage of adolescent girls ages 15-19 years who have premarital sex have increased to 20% (sunstar.com.ph). In the Philippines, the incidence of premarital sex in persons 15-24 years of age is 18% in males and 10% in females.

With this statistics, it only shows that premarital is very rampant which could result to unwanted pregnancy and acquiring Sexually transmitted disease. In my opinion, since some minors nowadays are engaging with sexual intercourse without the benefit of marriage, there should be an available contraceptives and birth control information available through clinics. However, these contraceptives and birth control information should be given adolescents whose age ranges from 15 to 19. It is not that it will encourage sexual experimentation but the fact that adolescents are said to be curious, I think it is better for them to be educated during this stage, since not only do the hormones work overtime, but there are physical changes too that are taking place in the body structure; particularly so in the sex organs, making the teenager curious to explore these changes. I believe that these could help in such a way that it would be a safety measure in case they would be engage in such activity. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Raffiel Jacinto

Back to top Go down

Should contraceptives and birth control information be made available to minors through school clinics? If so, at what age should they be available? Empty RE: contraceptive pills and birth control among minors

Post  PauLlamoso Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:49 am

I do agree that sex education and birth control should be taught to minors as early as they reach puberty. In my opinion, teenagers engage in premarital sex, casual sex or whatever they call it due to their curiosity which we may not be able to control now a days. well, the least we could do is to at least help them prevent acquiring sexually transmitted diseases and worst getting pregnant/getting someone pregnant during this time where we students should have been studying and enjoying life as it is.
PauLlamoso
PauLlamoso

Back to top Go down