Pediatric Nursing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11) Is there still a double standard regarding sexual activitiy of boys versus girls? Do teenagers still talk in terms of "Nice girls" versus "malandi girls"? Why is there no male counterpart to a "malandi"?

2 posters

Go down

11) Is there still a double standard regarding sexual activitiy of boys versus girls? Do teenagers still talk in terms of "Nice girls" versus "malandi girls"? Why is there no male counterpart to a "malandi"? Empty 11) Is there still a double standard regarding sexual activitiy of boys versus girls? Do teenagers still talk in terms of "Nice girls" versus "malandi girls"? Why is there no male counterpart to a "malandi"?

Post  beatriztalingting Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:33 am

In my opinion, presently, people become more and more liberated so that double standard was gardually being eradicated like in the western countries. For them it was normal for girls to make the first move in order to caught a man's attention. However, here in the Philippines where most people were conservative, still has a sense of reservation for girls. People here think that it's alright for boys to flirt, have sex, practice polygamy in relationships because it is somewhat socially acceptable since they were men. I think that's the reason why there's no male counterpart of "malandi". People just accept that men are polygamous. It was very usual that a man would have "anak sa labas" because the more women they have, the more masculine they become. Unlike women, the more men they have, the more they were cursed and judged by the people around them.
I remember when I asked my mom if she could let me go in a party when i was in highschool. She didn't let me because it would end up late. Then my brother asked her to go to a bar late at night and she permitted him. I felt it was unfair and i asked my mother why did she let my brother go and why she didn't let me before, she replied, "hayaan mo na s'ya, lalake s'ya, walang mawawala sa kanya". For me, the statement sent me the messege that parents being overprotective, require their daughters to be virgins until they were married while it's alright for their sons to be non- virgins. I think just because men do not have hymen, the society doesn't expect them to remain virgins.

beatriztalingting

Back to top Go down

11) Is there still a double standard regarding sexual activitiy of boys versus girls? Do teenagers still talk in terms of "Nice girls" versus "malandi girls"? Why is there no male counterpart to a "malandi"? Empty 11) Is there still a double standard regarding sexual activitiy of boys versus girls? Do teenagers still talk in terms of "Nice girls" versus "malandi girls"? Why is there no male counterpart to a "malandi"?

Post  beatriztalingting Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37 am

beatriztalingting wrote:
In my opinion, presently, people become more and more liberated so that double standard was gardually being eradicated like in the western countries. For them it was normal for girls to make the first move in order to caught a man's attention. However, here in the Philippines where most people were conservative, still has a sense of reservation for girls. People here think that it's alright for boys to flirt, have sex, practice polygamy in relationships because it is somewhat socially acceptable since they were men. I think that's the reason why there's no male counterpart of "malandi". People just accept that men are polygamous. It was very usual that a man would have "anak sa labas" because the more women they have, the more masculine they become. Unlike women, the more men they have, the more they were cursed and judged by the people around them.
I remember when I asked my mom if she could let me go in a party when i was in highschool. She didn't let me because it would end up late. Then my brother asked her to go to a bar late at night and she permitted him. I felt it was unfair and i asked my mother why did she let my brother go and why she didn't let me before, she replied, "hayaan mo na s'ya, lalake s'ya, walang mawawala sa kanya". For me, the statement sent me the messege that parents being overprotective, require their daughters to be virgins until they were married while it's alright for their sons to be non- virgins. I think just because men do not have hymen, the society doesn't expect them to remain virgins.

Vennesa Beatriz Talingting BSN3 E

beatriztalingting

Back to top Go down

11) Is there still a double standard regarding sexual activitiy of boys versus girls? Do teenagers still talk in terms of "Nice girls" versus "malandi girls"? Why is there no male counterpart to a "malandi"? Empty malalandi and nice girls

Post  erika.sunglao Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:01 pm

I think there’s still such thing as “malandi girls” and “nice girls”, when I personally hear the word “malandi” the first thing that pops out of my mind is the girl is touchy. “malandi girls” gets what they want because they can easily use their “kalandian” to manipulate people just to get what they want and then in the end they leave the person. They always think and feel that everybody admires then when in fact SOME people hates them. Yes, nice girls, I easily get along with them, they’re fun to be with, they don’t have any “KAARETHAN”, they’re so fun and easy to get along with, as long as they’re happy with what they are doing then they won’t and don’t care what people may/might say about them.
There is a male counterpart of “malalandi”, its just different from girls because guys are still guys, they may be vain, but most of all they can and may be “malandi”, its not just evident as girls. Maybe since there are homosexuals, people may misinterpret their actions.

erika.sunglao

Back to top Go down