Topics for Sexuality

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Should contraceptives and birth control information be made available to minors through school clinics? If so, at what age should they be available?

Post  jennifer mateo on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:23 am

Very Happy Minor's Rights Versus Parental Rights: Review of Legal Issues
from Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health

Privacy and Confidentiality for Minors
Confidentiality is implicit in maintaining a patient's privacy, but confidentiality between provider and client is not an absolute right. Privacy is defined as the ability of the individual to maintain information in a protected way. Confidentiality in health care is the obligation of the health care provider not to disclose information. (English A, Legal Counsel, Center for Adolescent Health Care and the Law, past consultant for MCHB, interview, October 25, 2001.)

All states have statutes regarding public safety and mandatory reporting of communicable diseases to public officials.[14] However, both federal and state laws protect the confidentiality of the people. The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) established minimum privacy standards in 1996 through the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).[32] Health care providers, health plans, and health care clearinghouse are all affected by HIPAA. HIPAA is intended to establish security and privacy standards and promote the standardized electronic transmission of administrative and financial health care records that are currently carried out manually on paper. There were two issues that slowed progress in establishing HIPAA regulations. The first issue was the relationship of federal law to state law and the second issue concerned the rules regarding minors' rights and parental access to their medical records.[32-34]

Prior to HIPAA, state law controlled the confidentiality of most health information, and protection varied from state to state. Federal regulation under HIPAA supersedes all state laws, unless the state standards are more stringent than federal standards.[32-34] The federal regulations require a uniform minimum standard of confidentiality protection, preempting all contrary state laws. In general, HIPAA provides greater confidentiality of health information for all individuals with the exception of minors.[33]

Minors' confidentiality is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), first enacted in 1974 and amended in 1994 under the Improving America's School Act (IASA).[35, 36] FERPA defines the term "education records" broadly to include all records, documents, files, and other materials such as files, tapes, or a photograph containing information related directly to a student and gives the parents permission to have some control over the disclosure of this information. Under FERPA, when a minor turns 18, the rights are transferred from the parent to the minor.[35] The IASA amendments enhanced the penalty for improperly disclosing information from education records.[36] Interagency disclosure is exempted from these restrictions if it is within the legitimate educational interest of the minor.[33]

Four specified exceptions to FERPA affect access to a minors' records, which include the following: disclosure of law enforcement records; disclosure under directory information (publication of name, address, phone number) after notification of intent; disclosure under health or safety emergency; and disclosure under the juvenile justice system. Schools may disclose information to the above agencies or under specified circumstances without parental consent.[35] HIPPA will protect the confidentiality of health records within the juvenile justice system.[32] More recently, the No Child Left Behind Act of 2002 requires that student lists be given to the military for recruitment purposes.[37] Accordingly, it is apparent that confidentiality of health information is limited for minors. FERPA strictly covers students' school records; these records are not covered under current HIPPA regulations. Personal observations are not covered under FERPA. This means that a teacher can share information with a counselor regarding a student.[35]

Confidentiality for Adolescents Obtaining Contraception
Despite the legal requirements of HIPPA and FERPA, confidentiality for minors seeking contraceptive services has had a separate and convoluted legal course. Since 1942, the Supreme Court has considered the individual rights related to sexual activity and the extent to which the government may interfere with these rights. Over the past two decades, the Court has struggled with the minors' right to privacy against the value of parental guidance with regard to contraception.[12, 25]

In 1970, Congress passed Title X of the Public Health Service Act.[38] This law established a program to create a nationwide system of health care clinics that provided family planning services to anyone wanting to receive them. When the Title X program was initiated, services to adolescents were included; however, the growing rate of teen pregnancy alarmed Congress, which then became concerned that teens did not have enough access to services.[38] To ensure adolescents did have sufficient access to services, the language of Title X was expanded. The legislative history of Title X reflects a congressional commitment to two policies regarding contraceptive services for adolescents: 1) encouraging family involvement in a teenager's contraceptive decision and 2) maintaining patient confidentiality regarding personal facts during provision of services.[39] DHHS regulations originally adopted in 1972 pursuant to Title X expressly protect confidentiality. "All information as to personal facts and circumstances obtained by the project staff about individuals receiving services must be held confidential and must not be disclosed without the individual's consent, except as may be necessary to provide services to the patient or as required by law, with appropriate safeguards for confidentiality."[38, 39]

In 1978, Congress amended Title X to require recipients of funding to provide treatment to adolescents.[40] Congress rejected all attempts to undermine confidentiality by a vote of 45 to 10 in the Senate, including the care of minors. Congress amended Title X again in 1981, requiring funded recipients to "encourage" minors they were treating to involve their parents in making reproductive health care decisions.[41]

The Reagan administration interpreted the word "encourage" to require Title X recipients to notify parents within 10 working days of prescribing a contraceptive drug or device to a minor.[42] On January 26, 1983 DHHS promulgated regulations mandating parental notification for unemancipated minors seeking contraception from federally funded family-planning clinics, which became known as the "Squeal Rule." There were two exceptions to parental notification: treatment for STDs and when a provider deemed that notification would lead to physical harm of the minor.[42]

Following this action there were several challenges to these parental notification regulations in district courts in Washington, DC, New York, and Tennessee. These cases were heard in the DC courts and the Second Circuit Courts.[43] In the majority of these cases, the judges' opinions denounced the validity of the federal regulations and stated the clinics may not initiate dialogue with the parents over the objection of the minor.

In 1983, the Federal Court case Planned Parenthood v. Matheson found mandated parental notification to be unconstitutional as an infringement of privacy interests, including a minors' constitutionally protected right to decide whether to bear or beget a child by using or not using contraceptives.[44] Because there was no conflict among the circuit courts, the Reagan administration decided not to appeal to the Supreme Court.[41]

Currently, there are no state laws that bar minors' access to confidential contraceptive care, but this continues to be under attack by Congress.[18] In 1999, Representative Ishtook (R-OK) offered an amendment to the Labor Health and Human Services Appropriations Bill. The bill would require recipients of Title X funding to obtain consent from parents prior to prescribing contraception to minors or obtaining written notice 5 working days before prescribing contraceptives.[41] Representative Greenwood (R-PA) offered an alternative to this initiative by proposing a measure to have clinics emphasize abstinence, counsel minors on ways to avoid the pressures of sex, and encourage parental involvement in reproductive decisions.[41]

There are several legal precedents for provision of contraception without parental consent. In Griswold v. Connecticut, a 1965 Connecticut statute making the use of contraceptives a criminal offense was ruled unconstitutional.[45] The Connecticut law applied to both married and unmarried persons. In this case, a member of Planned Parenthood of Connecticut and a physician were arrested and fined for giving married couples advice on contraceptives. Justice Goldberg during this case said, "It is far more shocking to believe the personal liberty guaranteed by the constitution does not include protection against such totalitarian limitation of family size."[45]

Eisenstadt v Baird (1972) is another case example.[46] After delivering a lecture on overpopulation, the appellee handed out articles on contraception and samples of contraceptive foam to a young woman. Massachusetts had a statute making it unlawful for unmarried persons to have access to contraception. The Court ruled that it was unconstitutional to ban contraceptive use and stated that to do so violated the rights of unmarried people under the Equal Protection Clause. Justice Brennan wrote, "If the right to privacy means anything, it is the right of the individual, married or single, to be free from unwarranted government intrusion into matters so fundamentally affecting a person as the decision whether to bear or beget a child."[46]

These cases culminated in 1977 with Carey v Population Services International when the Supreme Court used the Fourteenth Amendment to extend the right of privacy to minors. The Court found minors had a fundamental right to choose "... whether to bear or beget a child." This case held a state law unconstitutional for criminalizing the distribution of nonprescription contraceptives to minors.[47]

Minors now have access to confidential contraceptive services and the earlier cases set legal precedent for Roe v Wade in 1972 and legal abortion services.[48] The Court held a Texas law criminalizing all abortions except those to save the mother's life violated the constitutional right to privacy. Justice Blackmun stated, "The unborn have never been recognized in the law as persons in the whole sense."[48] It has been 30 years since the Supreme Court ruled that the relationship between a woman and her provider was a private matter, not subject to government interference in Roe v Wade. Justice Harry Blackmun declared that the Fourteenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution extends the right of privacy to women "broad enough to encompass a woman's decision whether or not to terminate her pregnancy."[48] This landmark case, along with previous contraceptive cases, allows adolescents access to appropriate information and crucial contraceptive services including abortion.


according to this article parents must be involve in a teenager's contraceptive decision and a minor using birth control should have confidenciality. however for me using contraceptives and birth control information should not be made available for minors. for me contraceptives should not be advised to be used even by married couple because life begins at fertilization or union of egg and sperm and not in conception so preventing conception means aborting the fertilized egg, and that is immoral. however, there is a very effective, moral, natural, and cheap kind of birth control: Billing's Ovulation Method (BOM). it works through accurate observation and charting of the woman's cervical mucus and ovulation which will indicate when to have conjugal intercourse and when not to have it depending on the couple's intention (either preventing or achieving pregnancy). all natural birth control methods (meaning no killing of egg, sperm or fertilized egg) must be introduced only to those who are married couple, to prevent PREMARITAL SEX. for me premarital sex is really immoral thats why i do not agree with the use of contraception.i think the appropriate age for birth control information should be made available at the age of 19 i guess and for those who are married. cheers



mateo, jennifer l.
iii-A

jennifer mateo

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2 and 8

Post  janjan on Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:49 am

2) How do you think children should be taught about sexual anatomy? When should this teaching begin? and Cool How should parents respond when they become aware that their children are playing doctor or engaging in sexual activities with their playmates? What if the playmates are siblings? Does that make a difference in how parents should respond?

Children should be taught about sexual anatomy in a natural manner.

Sex play is normal in children. Many children do these things.( If children seem to do them all the time, though, there could be a problem) “Playing doctor” is a common way for children to do this. Children might play in this way because they are curious or just because they are learning about sex. Parents should be ready to grab those opportunities to teach children about sexuality and privacy. You never know when such a moment will arrive, and you need to think it through in advance. That kind of play is helpful to the children. Other children may be fascinated with bodies and differences. If they undress themselves… that is a good time to talk about the differences between girls and boys. But children also need to learn to stay dressed in public. If a child is doing things that are not appropriate in your childcare setting, work with that child. Set rules about privacy. Tell them about “good touch” and “bad touch.” Help them learn about sexuality, and help them learn how to get help if someone does something inappropriate.

Most of us struggled through our younger years completely in the dark about sex. Some of us may even still be suffering as a result -- perhaps one continues to feel shame and guilt about their sexuality due to the "don't ask, don't tell" environment you experienced as a child.

In my opinion, parents should teach sex ed to children at these stages rather than wait until adolescence or puberty because it may feel odd for both the teen (embarrassed) and the parent which may seem desperate and tension may rise in discussion. Teens are used to talk about this stuff to their peers who may not share their parent’s values.

Jan Crisostomo 3E

janjan

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Topics for Sexuality

Post  Artesa Lim on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:20 am

pierreangelisuravilla wrote:15.) In your opinion, is there a prescribed age for a person to start engaging in sexual activities, like sexual intercourse? What is your basis for the prescription in the age? What is your view on teenagers engaging in sexual activities?

If a person understands the consequences of engaging in sex, if he is already mature and a responsible individual, financially ready then he is ready to start engaging in this activity. Being in a teenage stage is a big no as it only involves curiosity rather than feelings. They are not using their minds on what kind of future s in-store for them should they have started doing this thin in a wrong time. It will make or break their future.

Personally, I think that the people must start enagaging in sexual actvities after they got married. First it is indicated in the BIble The Bible explains, "…The body is not meant for sexual immorality, but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body" (1 Corinthians 6:13). Verse 18 of this chapter goes on to say, "Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body." Galatians 5:19 speaks the same, "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity…" Ephesians 5:3 says it most plainly, "But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people." From these verses, we see that the Bible promotes complete and total abstinence from premarital sex.

In my opinion some teenagers enaged in promiscuous acts because of the following reasons: Lack of parental control or too much parental control, because of curiosity or because of the influence of environment and the people around them.

Artesa Lim

Posts : 3
Join date : 2009-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

LOPEZ, ELENORE MARIEN V. BSN III-E

Post  elenorelopez on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:24 am

2) How do you think children should be taught about sexual anatomy? When should this teaching begin?

In my opinion, teaching children about sexual anatomy should be first done at home. Since our parents are our first teachers, they should be the first one to orient us about sexual anatomy. For me, it is more comfortable to ask them regarding the matter in order to prevent giving the wrong connotation or information about the said topic. The parents are the first one who should instill in their children's mind that there is nothing "green" about sexual anatomy. It should only be explained properly in order to prevent children from exploring and getting the wrong idea of it. After getting the background of sexual anatomy, secondary information can now be taught in school in order to strengthen the knowledge at hand. It is better to come in school a little prepared rather than to come in school without knowing anything at all and be bewildered about the topic. The article I've read from http://www.cbcpnews.com/?q=node/3826 also support my opinion. This was the article:



An effective sex education should begin at home, says priest

NAGA CITY, July 21, 2008─Sex education, to be effective should begin at home, a priest said.

“Sex education, in order to be effective should start from parents and this should happen in their regular interaction with children at home,” said Fr. William Santiago, director of the Archdiocesan Family Ministry of the Archdiocese of Caceres.

Santiago called on parents to fulfill their obligation on their children by teaching them sex education properly.

He made the appeal noting that television has greatly reduced the quality time of family members to interact with one another and exchange ideas.

Santiago reacted to the proposed bill on Reproductive Health and Responsible Parenthood filed at the House of Representatives which includes teaching sex education starting with Grade 5 pupils in the elementary schools.

He doubts the effectiveness and preparedness of school children at such young age for sex education.

Meanwhile, the proposal to give sex education to grade school pupils drew diverse reactions from parents. Some concerned parents said it is too early to talk about sex to elementary pupils. Others said curiosity may lead to more problems such as early marriages. Several opined it is advantageous because it will raise the young’s awareness on the ill effects of pre-marital sex. But there are also apprehensions such introduction to sex education may encourage the children to be more adventurous.

“Parents should play a big role in guiding their children and in teaching sex education so a proper direction may be achieved in conveying to them this sensitive but important subject,” Santiago said.

Children should likewise be guided on the use of the internet and prevent their access to pornographic materials, said Santiago. (Elmer Abad)

elenorelopez

Posts : 3
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

number 1 question

Post  jaderamirez on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:29 am

1) Textbooks state that sexuality has biological, psychological and social dimensions and that people engage in sex due to differing views. However, many individuals and religions take the position that only procreation justifies engaging in sexual activities. What do you personally believe in? Should sex be for procreation or recreation purposes as well? What are your influences for your views on this matter?

In my opinion sexual intercourse should be viewed as for procreation and recreation. It should be both. Procreation merely because of our religion wherein in the bible, God had said “Go forth and multiply” It’s our responsibility to never end our race, our Christian race. In this way Christianity will not die. God’s word will still perish in the hearts of believers.

However, it’s also a recreation because it should be enjoyed. Smile Although we have to procreate we also have to enjoy it. Recreation is an activity that you enjoy. It doesn’t mean fornicate as others may think. Fornication is a sin. According to http://www.answers.com fornication means sexual intercourse between a man and a woman who are not married to each other. Still, we have to consider that you have to be married if you will engage in sexual intercourse.

Another thing, sexual intercourse is also a recreation because when the time comes when you don’t want to procreate anymore, this is where it all comes in --- Romance and recreation Smile

Again, the most important thing to emphasize here is that married people are the only ones who should be procreating and recreating Smile

Jade Ramirez BSN IIIB

jaderamirez

Posts : 3
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

17. What for you is \

Post  Patty Angeles on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:30 am

It is stepping into someone's privacy and doing or saying something that is against your will. Yes, it includes verbal insinuations as well as physical actions. Being sexually harassed means that another person is attacking your sexuality that results to hurting one's ego

Physical harassment is when someone touches any part of you without permission to do so. The same goes to verbal sexual harassment, it is when someone says something bad that degrades and hurts oneself.

Patty Angeles 3E


Last edited by Patty Angeles on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

Patty Angeles

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Topics for Sexuality

Post  Artesa Lim on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:33 am

pierreangelisuravilla wrote: 13.) Does listening to popular music and watching music videos with explicit sexual lyrics and actions increase the likelihood that teenagers will become sexually active? Why or why not?

Yes. Media is a very strong medium in conveying messages to the people. The effect will depend on the perception of the viewers. It will depend on how the message has been delivered; how the words have been said and how the actions have been played. Viewing erotic scenes will trigger the emotions of the young people which is not advisable for them to do.

Like my other classmates , I strngly agree that listening to popular music ang waching mpvie with explicit sexual lyrics and actions may increase the likelihood that teenagers will become sexually active.

According to a research: Many health professionals believe that mass media content
depicting casual sex with no consequences has resulted in a host of negative behaviors among teens
who may be persuaded that teen sexual activity is “both acceptable and wide spread” (Villaruel).
Pediatric healthcare providers are being encouraged to assess patients’ media use because of its
5
potential association with unhealthy behaviors (Gruber and Grube). Although parents and
educators try to promote abstinence or condom use, teens are increasingly exposed to media
sexual content that does not provide information about health risks and personal responsibility.
Both negative and positive advertising messages have been shown to influence young people,
according to a pediatric medical association that calls on the mass media to promote responsible
sex, and healthy behaviors (AAP “Sexuality”).
In addition to modeling unhealthy sexual behaviors, entertainment may negatively influence
other aspects of teens’ physical and psychological well-being. Research suggests that media
portrayals of unrealistic body images negatively impact teens’ self-esteem (Polce-Lynch). Teens,
especially young females, become discontent with their bodies and may develop unhealthy eating
behaviors in an attempt to achieve media-ideal body types (Field et al.). Although family and social
relationships also have an influence, teens learn about society and sexual relationships from visual
media images portraying body types, clothing, and other cultural norms (Johnston 10).
Sexual content in mass media has a “profound real-life effect” according to researchers
who point to the co-evolution of media messages and sexual culture in American society
(Carpenter). Mass media can either reinforce norms or offer insights into alternative ways of
thinking. Entertainment content depicting sexual norms, stereotypes, double-standards, and sexual
roles may have a profound influence on teens’ perceptions about sex, body image, and social
norms (Ward). Teens often seek social and sexual information from mass media sources rather
than their parents or other adults. These teens may be attracted to programs with sexual content.
In a study of prime-time television shows popular among young viewers, sexual references
6
accounted for as much as 50% of character interactions. These programs typically depicted sex as
a “recreational” pursuit rather than something pertaining to relationships or reproduction, and the
sexual content reinforced gender stereotypes of men as aggressors, and women as sexual objects
who are valued for their physical appearances (Ward).
According to two scholars who reviewed a number of studies, research implies that: teens
who watch sexual content on television are more likely to engage in sex; teens who watch a lot of
television tend to have negative attitudes about being a virgin; and teens who see sexual content as
being more real are more impacted by the sexual content. Age and gender may also influence how
teens select media, according to one study that found older teens were more likely to tune in to
sexual content, and that females were more likely to learn about sex and relationships from sexual
content in the media (Greenburg and Hofschire 103-104)

Artesa Lim

Posts : 3
Join date : 2009-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Do boys and girls differ in how important "being in love" is to their becoming sexual with each other? Is the saying true that "boys fall in love in order to get sex, while girls give sex in order to get love'?

Post  jennifer mateo on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:41 am

In my opinion, boys and girls have no difference regarding how important being in love. And it is not true that boys fall in love in order to get sex and girls give sex in order to love. For me being in love is not giving all you have including virginity. As what my sister told me “loving is not about sex”, and it is definitely true. As a teenager I experienced being in love and being in love is not merely giving all. It’s about how you love your self and respect yourself in order to give LOVE to others or shall I say to your boyfriend/girlfriend. now a days premarital sex is very rampant in our country, maybe its because of multimedia and advancement of our technology which made the minors more susceptible in viewing films which are not appropriate/suitable for their age. But what I can I say is that in loving someone SEX is not the answer. Loving is about being true to your emotions without engaging in sex.
Maybe in some scenarios boys do ask their girls to have sex because of peer pressures, but I believe that if there is love in a relationship a guy should respect the word “NO”. Remember as nurses we learned ethics so its up to you on how will you decide.

jennifer L. mateo
III_A

jennifer mateo

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not?

Post  Patty Angeles on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:48 am

In my opinion, yes. Males whom are uncircumcised are of disadvantage in our culture because firstly, we think that they are unclean if not circumcised and our common notion about uncircumcised males are in relation to their height and their sexual capabilities.

Patty Angeles

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

LOPEZ, ELENORE MARIEN V. BSN III-E

Post  elenorelopez on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:54 am

14) Do boys and girls differ in how important "being in love" is to their becoming sexual with each other? Is the saying true that "boys fall in love in order to get sex, while girls give sex in order to get love'?

gail beligrado wrote:this question is a bit unfair for both sides. honestly, it is not really innate among men or women. it is a choice. some men do that because they chose to do that. some girls are like that because-again, it is what they want.

i think the only difference is how they both express love.. it is not always the women who are expressive about their love. there are men who actually like "women" when it comes to love. it's just that, women are more touchy, meaning they express love with words, touch and others that they could think of. they are emotional when it comes to sharing what they could give to their loved one. and they're really eager to keep their loved one from not leaving them and loving them as far as it could be.

"being sexual with each other" is something that both parties have agreed on (if one of them did not, it would be sexual harassment right?) if that's because of love or pleasure, it would be their choice. we should not blame some men for being "sex maniac" or the women for being... "persevering". again it is a matter of choice.

men could view love as important as women do, and they could be deeply in love if they really are, there are just different ways to show that you are in love. different ways that may or may not involve sexual intercourse. we have the free will. we just have to use it well.

-gail beligrado, BSN 3-E

I agree to what Ms. Beligrado said. It is not in all instances that "boys fall in love in order to get sex, while girls give sex in order to get love". The connotation that "boys are just after sex" is not right and should be changed. Boys also have the capacity to love TRULY and for REAL. They are not always "just after sex". In fact, nowadays, there are still many conservative men because they are the ones who remind girls to be mindful of what they wear. They are the ones who tell girls that what they wear is too much revealing and next time the girls should avoid wearing something that expose too much skin.

elenorelopez

Posts : 3
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not?

Post  christellejolie on Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:59 am

yes, because our culture says that when you're uncircumcised you're not in. it's like you're not matured enough.

Bulala, Christelle Jolie
BSN III-E Question

christellejolie

Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

6) The text states that in ancient times a menstruating woman was regarded as unclean and dangerous and that, even today, many couples avoid having intercourse while a woman is menstruating. What are the reasons for these negative values?

Post  christellejolie on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:04 pm

in the old testament, they really regard women as unclean when they are undergoing menstruation. maybe because the blood itself is dirty. for me, it's fine if they'll call me dirty during my period. lol! but personally, it doesn't matter.

Bulala, Christelle Jolie
BSN III-E

christellejolie

Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

3) Should children be encouraged to use the correct terms about sexual anatomy or are slang words good enough?

Post  christellejolie on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:10 pm

i think children should be taught to use the correct terms on sexual anatomy.

Bulala, Christelle Jolie
BSN III-E Surprised

christellejolie

Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

gail i salute you

Post  christellejolie on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:14 pm

gail beligrado wrote:I agree to the people who said that there is should be "marriage" before sexual intercourse.

i am not being "manang" or whatever. and with the generation right now, i think sexual intercourse is something that most teenagers would like to experience. (i did not say all, i just said most.. haha) anyway, but its not really the cream on the top of the relationship. lust is far different from love. you can love without lust. and you can lust without love.

yeah. as long as their ready and responsible to take any consequences behind the pleasure would be the best to say but when is that? when they are 15 years old and excited to have a child? when they are 12 years old and does not care because they have a 45-year-old soon-to-be-rich-husband waiting for them? or when they are 18 years old and so in love with their boyfriend? actually, giving an age limit to having sexual intercourse is not the best solution. MARRIAGE is. an 18 year old could be mature enough to face the consequences of her/his action and a 35 year old could be not mature enough to face the real world. it could be possible. if love is really overpowering a relationship, surely lust would be the least they could think of.

if they really could not wait to have sexual intercourse with their loved one, maybe they should get married. at least they have all the time in the world to do it. and not thinking of any consequences that would come in to the way. love can be expressed in different way. and sex is not the only solution. it would be different if you would engage with sexual intercourse out of commitment not out of pleasure right?

but i am not angry to the teenagers who do it. i mean its their choice. they should be happy with it. i just wish they make the best choices out of their free will. Wink

christellejolie

Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Topics for Sexuality

Post  christellejolie on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Patty Angeles wrote:It is stepping into someone's privacy and doing or saying something that is against your will. Yes, it includes verbal insinuations as well as physical actions. Being sexually harassed means that another person is attacking your sexuality that results to hurting one's ego

Physical harassment is when someone touches any part of you without permission to do so. The same goes to verbal sexual harassment, it is when someone says something bad that degrades and hurts oneself.

Patty Angeles 3E


addition to that, it is embarrassing.

christellejolie

Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Topics for Sexuality

Post  christellejolie on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:21 pm

[quote="pocholosantos"]
karla15 wrote:
jackycruiz wrote:I personally don't agree that contraceptives & birth control information be made available to minors thorugh school clinics.This is because that it's like we are promoting "sex" for the teenagers. If all teenagers will have easy access on these birth control information, then probably most of them will try it. Maybe it would be better for them to be educated first about these, and be guided about topics on sex. 18 years old and above for me is the appropriate age that these contraceptives be available. (only those whoare sexually active will get these.) There's this article, from bangordailynews.com that is entitled "BIRTH CONTROL FOR MINORS SCRUTINIZED". This one is interesting. try to check it out. =)

Ruiz, Jacqueline C.
BSN III-E


I think it is a good step, that will help our country to control the increasing birth of filipinos to date. As long as it will be for the greater good, i will supoort it,...
1. It can somehow manage the increasing population,
2. the transfer of STIs will be lessen.

= I know Miss Ruiz pointed that its as if that we are promoting sex..,, but the question is,, what will to those persons that are un informed diba? they will commit more serious consequences, one i can think of is abortion,,,, diba? its more serious because you are killing another life, and somehow at this early stage it can be reinforced to these young ones that sex is not a game, it can cause serious consequences that promt actions should be made or somethings that should not be done at an early stage....,

I think it should be available as early 11 years old......,, because this is the stage where in children are physiologically developing and curiosity develops at each other...,, and i can say that through my expericence...


yes, i agree with mr. santos

christellejolie

Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Topics for Sexuality

Post  christellejolie on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:24 pm

pocholosantos wrote:
wyzzah wrote:
pocholosantos wrote:I think it is a good step, that will help our country to control the increasing birth of filipinos to date. As long as it will be for the greater good, i will supoort it,...
1. It can somehow manage the increasing population,
2. the transfer of STIs will be lessen.

= I know Miss Ruiz pointed that its as if that we are promoting sex..,, but the question is,, what will to those persons that are uninformed diba? they will commit more serious consequences, one i can think of is abortion,,,, diba? its more serious because you are killing another life, and somehow at this early stage it can be reinforced to these young ones that sex is not a game, it can cause serious consequences that promt actions should be made or somethings that should not be done at an early stage....,

I think it should be available as early 11 years old......,, because this is the stage where in children are physiologically developing and curiosity develops at each other...,, and i can say that through my expericence...

I see your point and respect your opinion Smile but I think I agree with what Ms. Ruiz had stated. You are talking about the uninformed, and she was talking about educating them. I think educating them of the consequences is more appropriate than making contraceptives available at school clinics. It is true that one serious issue related to premarital sex is unwanted pregnancy and abortion. But if you look deeper, minors should not be engaging themselves into premarital sex. Thus, abortion IDEALLY should not be a problem for minors. Although [society today has been liberated I still think that once people are informed, they are held liable for their own actions. As what you've stated, making contraceptives available to minors will reinforce the young ones that sex is not a game. It may be true for some but in my opinion, it is more like saying 'sex is okay as long as you avoid the consequences such as abortion, STDs, etc.'. Moreover, I think people should stop using curiosity, family problems or peer pressure as excuses in engaging to premarital sex. Smile

ANNA LUISA O. ARGAO, BSN3E

----
I can see see your point miss Argao....,,
-- its not making the contraceptives available but information regarding those should be made available, sa school> if you look into our present situation, as what miss Toral already stated that their is an increasing incidence of adolescent who are pregnant because of PMS.
-- yep ideally but PRACTICALITY wise, i think,information about contraceptives should be made available...
in this situation values, are the primary roles in this aspect, diba?? so can we do anything about it, ?? almost wala, kasi its within their family, they are the ones who will decide if they will do it. all we can do,, is preventing the teens from gathering more serious complications..., kaya nga sabi mo diba... "Society today has been liberated", lets talk about the results here ==== so do you think ideally,, teaching them about the consequences of their acts would bring change to the escalating number unwanted teenage pregnancy today,will it be lowered?, or the practicality of giving them the information in controlling and preventing it by the use of these contraceptives....

share me your insights,,,.. about this,, baka mali din kasi ako eh, hehe
SANTOS, POCHOLO D. III-E

wyzzah, but the topic is contraceptive and birth control INFORMATION only.

christellejolie

Posts : 9
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

13

Post  janjan on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:40 pm

Artesa Lim wrote:
pierreangelisuravilla wrote: 13.) Does listening to popular music and watching music videos with explicit sexual lyrics and actions increase the likelihood that teenagers will become sexually active? Why or why not?

Yes. Media is a very strong medium in conveying messages to the people. The effect will depend on the perception of the viewers. It will depend on how the message has been delivered; how the words have been said and how the actions have been played. Viewing erotic scenes will trigger the emotions of the young people which is not advisable for them to do.

Like my other classmates , I strngly agree that listening to popular music ang waching mpvie with explicit sexual lyrics and actions may increase the likelihood that teenagers will become sexually active.

According to a research: Many health professionals believe that mass media content
depicting casual sex with no consequences has resulted in a host of negative behaviors among teens
who may be persuaded that teen sexual activity is “both acceptable and wide spread” (Villaruel).
Pediatric healthcare providers are being encouraged to assess patients’ media use because of its
5
potential association with unhealthy behaviors (Gruber and Grube). Although parents and
educators try to promote abstinence or condom use, teens are increasingly exposed to media
sexual content that does not provide information about health risks and personal responsibility.
Both negative and positive advertising messages have been shown to influence young people,
according to a pediatric medical association that calls on the mass media to promote responsible
sex, and healthy behaviors (AAP “Sexuality”).
In addition to modeling unhealthy sexual behaviors, entertainment may negatively influence
other aspects of teens’ physical and psychological well-being. Research suggests that media
portrayals of unrealistic body images negatively impact teens’ self-esteem (Polce-Lynch). Teens,
especially young females, become discontent with their bodies and may develop unhealthy eating
behaviors in an attempt to achieve media-ideal body types (Field et al.). Although family and social
relationships also have an influence, teens learn about society and sexual relationships from visual
media images portraying body types, clothing, and other cultural norms (Johnston 10).
Sexual content in mass media has a “profound real-life effect” according to researchers
who point to the co-evolution of media messages and sexual culture in American society
(Carpenter). Mass media can either reinforce norms or offer insights into alternative ways of
thinking. Entertainment content depicting sexual norms, stereotypes, double-standards, and sexual
roles may have a profound influence on teens’ perceptions about sex, body image, and social
norms (Ward). Teens often seek social and sexual information from mass media sources rather
than their parents or other adults. These teens may be attracted to programs with sexual content.
In a study of prime-time television shows popular among young viewers, sexual references
6
accounted for as much as 50% of character interactions. These programs typically depicted sex as
a “recreational” pursuit rather than something pertaining to relationships or reproduction, and the
sexual content reinforced gender stereotypes of men as aggressors, and women as sexual objects
who are valued for their physical appearances (Ward).
According to two scholars who reviewed a number of studies, research implies that: teens
who watch sexual content on television are more likely to engage in sex; teens who watch a lot of
television tend to have negative attitudes about being a virgin; and teens who see sexual content as
being more real are more impacted by the sexual content. Age and gender may also influence how
teens select media, according to one study that found older teens were more likely to tune in to
sexual content, and that females were more likely to learn about sex and relationships from sexual
content in the media (Greenburg and Hofschire 103-104)

Media is one of the important means to reach out to the masses and influence their thinking and decision making. Positive media cannot attract attention of the masses and to gain viewer ship; negative media has to be incorporated to balance out and attract the masses, but a line has to be drawn between the positive and the negative media in the interest of the younger generation.

janjan

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

armesto

Post  bino on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:56 pm

13) Does listening to popular music and watching music videos with explicit sexual lyrics and actions increase the likelihood that teenagers will become sexually active? Why or why not?

>>Mass media is sending out a wrong message to the public by broadcasting sex or any sexual matters in the mainstream, this type of video or music set off minds of the society or even the immature persons which may not interprets correctly or more over those who is not yet suitable to view those type of clips.

bino

Posts : 3
Join date : 2008-12-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

number 10 question

Post  jaderamirez on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:05 pm

10) The text reports that babies experience sexual pleasure and apparently may even masturbate to orgasm. What do you suppose this signifies? How should parents respond if their baby shows extreme annoyance if efforts are made to interrupt his or her masturbation of is such self-stimulation is done many times during the day?

Really? Well, in my opinion, parents should be educated about this even before they have their child. Therefore, soon to be mothers should have consulted a specialist at least a month before she have her child so that she will not be shocked when her baby manifest these kind of things. When the mother saw this, she should just let this go and remember that the baby just think of this as a pleasurable feeling, nothing sexual comes into his/her mind when in this age. Babies just do things that are pleasurable to them (e.g. sucking). Smile

jaderamirez

Posts : 3
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sincuya, Claravita L. BSN III-E

Post  clairiesincuya on Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:24 pm

bino wrote:13) Does listening to popular music and watching music videos with explicit sexual lyrics and actions increase the likelihood that teenagers will become sexually active? Why or why not?

>>Mass media is sending out a wrong message to the public by broadcasting sex or any sexual matters in the mainstream, this type of video or music set off minds of the society or even the immature persons which may not interprets correctly or more over those who is not yet suitable to view those type of clips.

i agree to Mr. Armesto's comment.. Basically, I think that media exerts an enormous, nearly a normative influence, over the lives of people whether male, female most especially the people of the younger generation: the adolescents and children. It influences, particularly among teenagers, the behaviors in which individuals and groups dress, speak, behave, and think. The media, in the forms of movies, television, radio, and print as well as the latest electronic connections medium of the Internet, aids to hook up individuals to one another and to the world; consistently, this powerful influence shapes the ways in which the spectators or participants identify the human race and their own place within that world. Given that teenagers are often highly susceptible and subject to such influences, it may seem that they are easily controlled and manipulated as to what they see in films or other forms of mass media. So I believe that parents should be sure to keep an eye to their children and be able to safeguard their innocent minds to such things.. hehe Very Happy

Sincuya, Claravita L. BSN III-E

clairiesincuya

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-02-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ALOC, Gino Angelo S. 3-E

Post  Gino Angelo Aloc on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:17 pm

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not?

In my own opinion, an uncircumcised male is a disadvantage in our culture because nowadays an uncircumcised males are looked down upon and that an uncircumcised male would be bullied if he's peers or friends discovered that he is uncircumcised and also be ridiculed if he should shower with other men. I remember when I was in my 3rd year high school at San Beda, we have a new classmate which happens to be a Japanese guy. From quite sometime my classmate discovered that this Japanese guy is uncircumcised. After this, my classmate started to say unnecessary things about him (back stab), because according to them he is not a man when he's not yet circumcised. To cut a long story short, this incidence reached to the authorities of the school and started explaining to us that circumcision is not a practice in their(referring to the Japanese guy) country.

Being circumcised is a sign of manhood as what other men says "To qualify to be a man", "I want to be a real men." Being circumcised would improve intercourse because penetration would be facilitated if the foreskin is removed. Also being circumcised would improved hygiene by keeping the body fresh and it is easier to maintain genital cleanliness.

ALOC, Gino Angelo S. 3-E

Gino Angelo Aloc

Posts : 1
Join date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Topics for Sexuality

Post  ralph121289 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:30 am

jaderamirez wrote:10) The text reports that babies experience sexual pleasure and apparently may even masturbate to orgasm. What do you suppose this signifies? How should parents respond if their baby shows extreme annoyance if efforts are made to interrupt his or her masturbation of is such self-stimulation is done many times during the day?

Really? Well, in my opinion, parents should be educated about this even before they have their child. Therefore, soon to be mothers should have consulted a specialist at least a month before she have her child so that she will not be shocked when her baby manifest these kind of things. When the mother saw this, she should just let this go and remember that the baby just think of this as a pleasurable feeling, nothing sexual comes into his/her mind when in this age. Babies just do things that are pleasurable to them (e.g. sucking). Smile

hahahah.... yey.. jade.. tama ka dun.. dapat idivert ang attention ng mga babies like giving toys to them... syempre wala nmang malisya un sa mga babies eh... they find iot pleasurable lang in tagalog.. nasasarapan lng cla... hehehhe NICE one SANTA CLAUS!!!

ralph121289

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

13) Does listening to popular music and watching music videos with explicit sexual lyrics and actions increase the likelihood that teenagers will become sexually active? Why or why not?

Post  Hazel Anne Santos on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:24 am

In my opinion it has an effect on teenagers because they will become curious on what the they are watching and listening. Teenagers like to explore on things.We live in a time where the rapid advances in communications is changing our world and making it into a global village. The Internet especially is coming into our homes and spreading all kinds of ideas, some of them good, others very unhealthy. And there is little we can do about it except to pay closer attention to children and help them navigate through the maze of concepts and information that threatens to overwhelm them. It also depend on how each one of us is raised because we perceived things differently so it really depend on the people.

Santos, Hazel Anne
BSN III-C


Last edited by Hazel Anne Santos on Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:26 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : editing)

Hazel Anne Santos

Posts : 2
Join date : 2009-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not?

Post  shine ibay on Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:36 am

I think it is really a disadvantage on a filipino male .First, majority of us has the religion of Catholicism and it was indicated by Moses that circumcision in of males signifies removal of blemishes and makes them more clean in the eyes of God and along with this is change of being a new creation our father in heaven.In terms of their health, circumcision at an early age prevents cancer of the penis. This cancer is uncommon, but often fatal, and treatment means amputation of all or most of the penis.
Likewise,uncircumcised males are much more liable to urinary tract infections. These infections usually just need a course of antibiotics, but they can, sometimes, have serious consequences. Infections of the head of the penis - medically called balanitis - don't occur in circumcised boys. 10-15% of uncircumcised boys will suffer from these infections, which are uncomfortable but not life-threatening. Some individuals are more susceptible to them than others, and even if the person chose not to be circumcised , he is highly susceptible on reoccurence of infections often and this infections might even lead to other complications or even sterility. So males must be circumcised!!!

ARISE SHINE P. IBAY
BSN III-D

shine ibay

Posts : 1
Join date : 2009-02-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Topics for Sexuality

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum