Pediatric Nursing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not?

4 posters

Go down

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not? Empty 4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not?

Post  jethroplameras Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:49 pm

Jethro Marc F. Plameras
BSN III - C

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not?

>> For me, being a male, uncircumcised male has it's disadvantages in some instance in our culture. Why is that so? It's because circumcision or "pagtutuli" was purely a traditional custom of us Filipinos. During the time of our ancestors, they perform circumcision using manual procedure by using a banana log and a wooden plug. But some of us uses that procedure up to now especially those people in the rural areas. Today, circumcision has becoming medicalised. Mostly, the one being circumcised are those pre-adolescent boys. In the Philippines, when a male passed his adolescent period without circumcision, he tends to keep it secret because of the fact that he knows that if someone found out that he is not circumcised he would be in a lot of shame. That scenario is typical with us Filipinos because circumcision is very important to us and it became a part of our culture since the time of our ancestors. At present, peer pressure, parental pressure, medical pressure and the stigma against being "supot" make a childhood circumcision almost but not quite inevitable.

jethroplameras

Back to top Go down

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not? Empty 4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not?

Post  jesanvictuelles Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:34 am

For me it is a disadvantage for uncircumcised male in our culture in terms of peer pressure, traditional factor and myths. When a man is uncircumcised, his manlihood is often questioned along with the hygienic beliefs. What really frightens adolescents is the teasing of their friends and families! Male children are afraid to be teased of being “supot” by their friends, thus, they engage in circumcision because of peer pressure. Some of the hygienic bliefs is that the uncircumcised males were "unclean" and that the "dirt" causes diseases in their partners. So they preferred to be circumsiced to avoid the stigma of being "unclean".

jesanvictuelles

Back to top Go down

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not? Empty Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not?

Post  zharina Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:13 am

it would be a disadvantage for the males if they would not be circumcised in our culture. Why? because in our culture most of the filipinos believed in myths and untrue facts, such as:
a) Some parents think that having their children circumcised could make them taller or bigger, which is so untrue because no matter how long the prepuce is cut (ininglis for the supot of the Penis), you will not be taller if your parents are not just like you will not be slender if your father and mother are 'stunted'.

b) Some parents think that by circumcision, the boy’s testicles would develop and so would the size of his penis.

c) Parents have forgotten the main purpose of this ritual; that is to clean and expose the head of Liberty. That’s all. It has nothing to do with height or weight nor the future size of the statue of Liberty.

...but the biggest myth of all, that there is any need to do it.

d) The claim that the intact penis is "dirty" is highly offensive to intact men. why? It is not the penis that is dirty. It is the smegma that accumulates at the neck of the glans penis. This has been shown to cause cervical cancer.

source: http://www.circumstitions.com/Philippines.html

Also in my opinion as a FEmale, it would be a disadvantage for the males if they would not be circumcised in our culture,if i WOULD eventully have to be the one to "do it" with that male, it would be like so uncomfortable n my part. also, based on what i can recall, when i was in high school boys teases boys to see if they were circumcised... and if that person denies and tries not to show his penis, they would be eager to look and humiliate or bully that person. it is a major issue if someone is not circumcised rather than someone is.

zharina

Back to top Go down

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not? Empty RE: supot

Post  PauLlamoso Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 am

If I still don't know about the facts about circumcision and stick with the tradition, i would still tease someone who is uncircumcised. but know, if i find out someone who is uncircumcised, Cool don't worry, i wont tease you anymore:)) instead, I'll encourage you to be proud of it!. people will only tease others because they don't know the benefits and they're not open to shange, (change)Razz. lets face it, traditions are traditions and it's difficult to over rule it. we just have to educate the children and the parents as well the reasons why circumcision is done and let them decide whether they want to be circumcised or not.

actually may nakita akong write-up ng isang advocate ng "Tule, Masakit, Di kailangan!" hahaha!
PauLlamoso
PauLlamoso

Back to top Go down

4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not? Empty Re: 4) Is the uncircumcised male at a disadvantage in our culture? Why or why not?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down